Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello  (Read 1484 times)

Offline bikeysteved

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR sport se
  • Town: Beckenham
Hello
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:01:47 PM »
Hi all I'm Steve
I paid my deposit yesterday for a 2017 XR being delivered in March, I've had 2 test rides and the bike is phenomial, so not wanting to wish my life away but I can't wait and glad to be a forum member.

Been riding 24 years, last 14 on my ZX9R which has been a great bike, trackdays, touring, IAM observing, weekends away etc but it's getting tired, is very analogue and now I'm looking forward to a sports bike with comfort and loads of toys as well.
I've got loads of questions already about the XR and a bit of time before it turns up to look at luggage (maybe not BMW due to cost) and practical accessories, so does anyone have a recommendation for tank bag, tail pack (I'm not a fan of hard luggage), crash bungs/engine protectors (R&G?) and a different screen?
That's the only downside I've noticed, a lot of wind noise, so screen is a defo for replacement or tweaking with a deflector?

What have you opted for and any other tweaks that you suggest?

Hope to meet you for a ride in the Spring.

Offline zei220

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 Sport SE
  • Town: Sandbach
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the bike.

I changed the screen on mine for one of the MRA vario screen, its better than standard but not perfect.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:36:49 AM »
Welcome.

The MRA vario is the way to go, for sure.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »
Welcome aboard

I didn't go for luggage as i think it spoils the bike. In fact i have removed all the scaffolding and the rear pegs as i never carry a pillion. I use a BMW soft bag for trips large for longer trips and small for a couple of days away. Easy on and off holds a good amount of gear, waterproof ( i can attest to that) so all in al my preferred option. Kriega US stuff is also handy for day pack.

As for tank bag i have the SW moth bags connection and its great with the only downside of not being terribly waterproof

You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
I have done the same.  I use a bags connection rear seat bag that sits on the seat/rear rack and a sw motech tank bag.

Offline zei220

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
I use the BMW roll bag, 50ltr, easily big enough for up to a couple a of weeks away.

Offline bikeysteved

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR sport se
  • Town: Beckenham
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 05:54:53 PM »
Happy New Year and thanks for your replies

I'm also thinking of decluttering the back of pannier rails and luggage grid, I don't think I'll use them and they look a bit lumpy, maybe pop it back on for a longish tour.

I'll take a look at all your suggestions and will likely have more questions the more I look, hope you don't mind me learning from your experiences.

Cheers

Offline zei220

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
Don't mind at all,   its what forums are for..... :821:

dysfunctional