Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sorry for this but PR4s or Roadtec 01s  (Read 11192 times)

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
Sorry for this but PR4s or Roadtec 01s
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:25:08 PM »
Guys ive had PR4s on a few bikes now and always found them to be good but seen the write ups and videos on youtube on the Metzeler Roadtec 01s and they say they have far better wet and dry grip and last as well ??

Anyone had experiences on both or the 01s be interested on anyones comparison or if theres a better choice I do ride quite hard in the dry albeit im no Rossi but dont have any confidence in the wet at all

Rob

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Re: Sorry for this but PR4s or Roadtec 01s
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »
Like you I ran PR4s on my GSA since they were launched and did not think they could be bettered as a tyre.

My XR came with Pirelli Rosso 2 which were great so i stuck with them and rosso 3 when they were released but was getting a bit fed up of 2K life from the rear.

Last year just before a trip to the picos i put a set of Roadtec 01 on

They are just feckin brilliant

I hammered the bike round the Picos and up through France did 3000 miles and they still have plenty of life in them.

AS for grip

In the dry they are as good as anything, mine have been to the very edge, both sides, no chicken strips whatsoever, and tested hard and they never once gave a concern.

In the wet they are phenomenal and seem to make the water vanish and grip almost as if it were dry.

They are also comfy if that makes sense, they cushion the ride well.

Tyres are a subjective thing and everyone has their preference but i can heartily recommend them and I think everyone should give them a go !

Also my mate with his 1290 super duke R put a set on for the same trip and was equally impressed
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:07:06 AM by Redrick »
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
PR4's are not designed for the XR. Go for a tyre that's designed for this bikes performance, not a do it all tyre that'll fit on pretty much any bike out there.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
PR4's are not designed for the XR. Go for a tyre that's designed for this bikes performance, not a do it all tyre that'll fit on pretty much any bike out there.

There are many bikes that use PR4 some of them big powered machines without any issues at all

The S1000RR forum rate the Roadtec 01 highly and there is a very good review on there somewhere.

Best  tyre in MCN blind test and used by them on their long term XR
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »
Currently 500 miles into my first set of Roadtec 01s and very happy obviously not the best conditions as all 500 miles have been on damp slippy or mud strewn roads but really starting to have a lot of confidence in em. Be nice to push em in some dry hot conditions in May in Italy n Spain.

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:53:40 PM »
Cheers Guys ill go with the 01s the T30Rs are still good was out in the slippery and wet today did about 120 miles and they were all good but will change them soon
Rob

Offline DerekA

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Hertford
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »
Hi good choice I have had a set of roadtec 01's now for over 3000 miles and can't fault them wet or dry. I do run them at 32 front and 36 rear when riding solo as I find it a lot more comfortable. Has anyone else tried this and if so how do they find it ?

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »
Metzeler Roadtec 01 are the best tyres I have ever had. Excellent grip in all weather and after 3k miles not much evidence of wear. Use BMW recommended pressures 36/42 psi :001:
PSH

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 04:40:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]

My XR LOVES the PR4's that are on there now as do a lot of other XR riders that have had them mounted at the same shop I go to. I know folks that do track days on the PR4's.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
 :431:
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
My XR LOVES the PR4's that are on there now as do a lot of other XR riders that have had them mounted at the same shop I go to. I know folks that do track days on the PR4's.

I'm sure that for everyday riding it's fine, and there will be some that do take them on track, but I'd rather have a tyre that has actually been designed specifically for the XR's performance, and handling characteristics. Or a more sport bike biased tyre.

dysfunctional