Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Manchester to Folkestone to Innertkirchen  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Manchester to Folkestone to Innertkirchen
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:11 PM »
Anyone done the chunnel crossing of recent.

Going to Switzerland in September for a week, staying at Baden Baden first night which is a lot of miles for the first days ride, any suggestions for staying around folkstone for the night before. Not looking forward to 5hr ride, half hr crossing then further 4 or 5 hr ride.

Did the pyrenees via 24 hr ferry to bilbao last time so we had a decent rest prior too...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:25:02 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline zei220

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 Sport SE
  • Town: Sandbach
Re: Manchester to Folkestone to Innertkirchen
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »
How about the overnight hull to zeebrugge ferry?

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Yes we thought of that but the costs became an issue for some in the group, £170 each way or £78 return on the chunnel...friggin joys of being the organiser pleasing all..

We've booked and paid already for the chunnel too !

Again mile crunching doesn't both me as the joy is in Switzerland, the moaning  fooker is on a Bm RR and 53 yes old..lol :745:
Therapy...

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
I do that run several times a year. I have stayed at Ashford, at the Premier Inn. Plenty of eateries on that out of town social centre.
I have mainly stayed in Folkstone itself, as a biking group. We have used real cheap hotels and not paid for breakfast, but always eat at the airport cafe, then catch the train.
The two hotels we've used are The Southcliffe, and the Carlton, which are next door to each other, on The Leas (right on the front). Parking outside is free for bikes, and the Carlton has it's own carpark round the back. As I said, they're a few minutes walk into the town for food and beer, and they're cheap and cheerful. We will no doubt be using them again this year.
HTH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
We have tried every which way over the years but the one that works best for us is go down to Dover late afternoon early evening cross over and hotel it in Calais loose the hour in you sleep.

You can still have a decent kip and breakfast and be out the door by 8am Euro with a good day in front of you,staying this side mean't it was on the way to 10am Euro time before you had struck a blow and that was with an early start.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
Agree with Winger we do the run about 3 times a year never usually have the time to get to France as we are past 7pm getting to Folkestone but the savings are worth it going to France.  Between 10 and 20 quid difference on Bookings.  Also I like getting up later and the hour lost at night is better than 1st thing in the morning.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline ogden

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Twickenham
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
If I want to get miles done as soon as I'm across the channel, I usually get the crossing out the way the night before, and hit the road first thing in the morning. There's an Ibis just outside the tunnel terminal which has a decent enough bar, and an Ibis Styles (or whatever they call their budget chain) next door. Or there's a Kyriad in Coquelles proper which is cheap and cheerful and the owner's happy to leave the room key hanging in the door if you're going to get there after he's packed up for the night.
Current stable: S1000XR | 990SMT | GSXR1000 | YZF-R6 #7

Offline phantom92

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Grimsby
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 06:46:38 AM »
We are going to Germany in Sept, and we are doing as Ogden.  Staying at the Ibis in Brugges near the Station, about 60 Euros for a three man room, no booking/cancellation fees and an under ground car park.  Just get up and go.

Mark

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
And for you guys who do use Ibis hotels get yourself an Accor club card it makes booking easier and when we have forgotten all about it nice when the guy behind the counter knocks 40/50 quid off the bill because of the points you have totted up.

Our next one is a months time in Le-Mans for the 24hour,oh and Portsmouth on the way out.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »

Sounds right doing the crossing then bed up for the night, full day to get over to Switzerland, cheers  chaps,  good  information  :020:
Therapy...

dysfunctional