Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TPMS  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bangkok
TPMS
« on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »
Do any of you guys know if it is possible to use the Garmin TPMS Sensor with the Nav V GPS?

Would be great to have tyre pressure info readily available.

Offline RobbiHK

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE (RED)
  • Town: Huddersfield
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
Winkie,,,,, yer Nav 5 will show tyre pressures on your new lady - no worries! :152:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window!!!

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
Hi Robbi

Do I have to order some additional option (other than the Nav V)?  Or is this already part of the Nav V package? What about the tyre sensors - do I need to order the Garmin ones? Or anything else from BMW?

Thanks for the advice and info

Offline RobbiHK

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
Hi Winkie, just order the new nav 5 and the unit is already pre-equipped to show the tyre pressures.....you don't need anything additional as the bike itself is calibrated from factory to show tyre pressures once you clip-in the navigator - all is good my man :305:.... :821:.....

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:41 AM »
Hi Robbi

Thank you very much for the info.

Wonderful news!

Offline RobbiHK

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 10:33:46 AM »
Hi Winkie,

Watch this mate.....all the info you need....I've just tried to upload the owners manual as a PDF, but the file is too large! Bummer :034:

This will answer all your questions I'm sure;

Cheers... :305: :821:

Offline Winkie

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
Perfect Robbi

Thank you very much for your time.

Apprreciated

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:57 PM »
The Garmin TPS sensors will not work on the XR, the Garmin units mount to the valve stem on a standard setup on the rim and the XR has the valve stems coming out of one of the spokes. The XR, as far I as I can tell does not have all the Nav 5 sensor readings as the GS, we do not get air temp and we do not have TPMS. I will check again but did not see it on my setup screen.

Offline PeterR

• XR Member
  • Bike: White S1000XR
  • Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 08:47:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by fasttrak [+]
The Garmin TPS sensors will not work on the XR, the Garmin units mount to the valve stem on a standard setup on the rim and the XR has the valve stems coming out of one of the spokes.
I own a Garmin 590LM and I have the TPMS sensors so I posed this question to Garmin's support desk: "I have a BMW S1000XR the tyre valves are short metal valves that are at 90 degrees to the normal valve fitting i.e. they are parallel with the wheel spindle. Will the TPMS work laying in this direction".
This is the reply I got: "TPMS will work as long as it's metal valve stems - degree doesn't matter".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:52:08 PM by PeterR »

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:07:38 PM »
I still would not use the Garmin style, external mount system, on the BMW mid-spoke schraeder valve. Not saying it is impossible but it would move the weight into a spot where there is little metal to support the added mass. The cost of these wheels is not cheap and not fond of the Garmin approach to adding TPS anyway, had that option on my Explorer and still went with internal units. To the OP, the Nav V and 590LM are based on same hardware but different software sets. The question is if the BMW GS tpms sensors could be mounted to the XR and enabled on the Nav V? I do not know but that is the route I would go to add tpms. Hopefully some one will ask the question and get an answer from BMW proper, I would like to have that added to my bike just not going to use the Garmin style. Not sure why BMW left it off which begs the question if these wheels have some design deficiency that they felt it was not feasible..

I have the Garmin 590 sitting on my desk, it was my primary unit until I bought the XR, they are not mix and match and was kind of forced to buy the Nav V if I wanted all the goodies BMW adds in software. The 590 is a great unit but the Nav V is better due to the BMW's GPS Prep on the GS and XR models, possibly the RT too.

dysfunctional