Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
S1000XR - General Chat / Re: Hayes vs brembo. Why does brembo suck?
« Last post by bropane on Today at 10:28:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
I have a gen 1 and I have just replaced the standard calipers and MC with Brembo M50s and an Brembo MCS master cylinder. Its transformed the brakes on the bike. Great lever feel and very predictable.

My standard setup had a terrible feel, like you say powerful enough but lots of lever travel and just felt weird.
I have a Gen 1 also and my brakes felt very squishy with the standard setup. I bled them out, turned the handlebars to the left, wrapped a bungie cord around the lever, and let it sit overnight. Next day the lever felt great. I got the tip from Mark's S1000XR maintenance book. I believe the theory is that it pushes all the air up to master cylinder reservoir. I've done the same thing on another bike with a Brembo braking system (2018 KTM 1290 SAS) and it worked great also.

ROKIN give it a shot. It's damn near free and you have nothing to lose.
2
Accessories, Mods, and Appearance / Re: ConnectedRide cradle on Gen1
« Last post by bropane on Today at 09:56:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
contact Garmin USA re your Nav VI, they have replaced mine twice.

 :0461: My dad has a Nav 6 and his touch screen and battery was acting up. He sent it to Garmin and they sent him a new one for free. They must know there's problems with them because they didn't ask any questions about it.
3
Accessories, Mods, and Appearance / Re: Lowering and re calibration
« Last post by MyzTied on Today at 09:19:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
Can you post up the response? I'm curious if you get a better explanation than I did.
No problem, will do. :028:
4
Accessories, Mods, and Appearance / Re: Lowering and re calibration
« Last post by Ant on Today at 09:15:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by MyzTied [+]
Thanks Ant. I will email Motoscan and ask them.

Can you post up the response? I'm curious if you get a better explanation than I did.
5
*Originally Posted by bropane [+]
Yes I was pumping the damper rod while I was filling it. I'm pretty sure I have all the spacers because they match what's listed in Mark's service book. The BMW DVD shows a plethora of different spacers on their diagrams. It's a bit confusing but I think they're like that because of the different configurations such as with/without ESA and low suspension. Mark's book shows what appears to be the same setup that I have. Only thing I can think of at this point is that I have an air pocket somewhere it's not supposed to be or the spacers are not the right ones.

I first noticed a symptom of the problem a couple months ago when I took off my front wheel. The axle was extremely tight but I didn't think much of it. The bike did pull to the right which make sense now because the right fork leg was shorter. I've had the 18,000 mile service which includes fork oil done at my old BMW dealer which should be the only other time the forks have been opened besides myself. It could be possible that the parts that are in the fork are not what's supposed to be inside it. Maybe they broke something and swapped the part with a spacer from a different trim? There are 3 different part numbers for the set compression spring on Real OEM https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0D13-USA-07-2016-K49-BMW-S_1000_XR_0D03,_0D13_&diagId=31_1215. They did mess up installing the valve cover gasket on that service on that job so I'm not ruling it out (not fun seeing an oil leak straight from the dealer).

I'm going to throw in the towel on this one and take the fork to my current dealer. They're good people and I just want to get my bike up and running. I don't want to keep chasing my tail on something that should be simple. I feel like there's something stupid that I'm overlooking or I do not have the correct parts in the fork. Thanks for the help Antares. I'll post an update after I get my fork back.

Yea if they replaced a wrong part or damaged the damper this could cause the issues.
6
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
I assume you cycled the fork as you were adding oil? Made sure no spacers are missing? The damper assembly itself is not really serviceable and nothing but oil should be able to get in and out. Assuming you followed the manual and added the correct amount of oil etc, i can't think of much...

Yes I was pumping the damper rod while I was filling it. I'm pretty sure I have all the spacers because they match what's listed in Mark's service book. The BMW DVD shows a plethora of different spacers on their diagrams. It's a bit confusing but I think they're like that because of the different configurations such as with/without ESA and low suspension. Mark's book shows what appears to be the same setup that I have. Only thing I can think of at this point is that I have an air pocket somewhere it's not supposed to be or the spacers are not the right ones.

I first noticed a symptom of the problem a couple months ago when I took off my front wheel. The axle was extremely tight but I didn't think much of it. The bike did pull to the right which make sense now because the right fork leg was shorter. I've had the 18,000 mile service which includes fork oil done at my old BMW dealer which should be the only other time the forks have been opened besides myself. It could be possible that the parts that are in the fork are not what's supposed to be inside it. Maybe they broke something and swapped the part with a spacer from a different trim? There are 3 different part numbers for the set compression spring on Real OEM https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0D13-USA-07-2016-K49-BMW-S_1000_XR_0D03,_0D13_&diagId=31_1215. They did mess up installing the valve cover gasket on that service on that job so I'm not ruling it out (not fun seeing an oil leak straight from the dealer).

I'm going to throw in the towel on this one and take the fork to my current dealer. They're good people and I just want to get my bike up and running. I don't want to keep chasing my tail on something that should be simple. I feel like there's something stupid that I'm overlooking or I do not have the correct parts in the fork. Thanks for the help Antares. I'll post an update after I get my fork back.
7
As requested, some extra images with the luggage...the top box is the larger 49L one with passenger back rest (not the smaller 30L) and fits 2 full sized helmets...















8
Accessories, Mods, and Appearance / Re: Lowering and re calibration
« Last post by MyzTied on Today at 11:38:53 AM »
Thanks Ant. I will email Motoscan and ask them.
9
S1000XR - General Chat / Re: Planning a route for upcoming trip
« Last post by Becksy on Today at 10:19:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by pcv57 [+]
I just wish there was a way to have the Nav unit just get you back to your route if you wander off.
The weird thing is that even when I did t stray from the route, the gps told me to turn onto a road that I knew I didn’t choose as part of my original route. It completely undermined the confidence I had in it.

You can, but if you wander off your route, it is highly likely that it will send you a different way to rejoin because you are travelling from a different point. Check out UKGSer, there are a load of resources on there and threads about alternatives.
10
S1000XR - General Chat / Re: Planning a route for upcoming trip
« Last post by bazzer on Today at 10:02:44 AM »
I use the MyRouteApp website, you can download direct to the Nav 5/6 with there download app.

Works really well and you can share routes with other, which makes planning group trips easier.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
dysfunctional